The Paraeducator Generalist Certificate is valid for five years and expires five years from the date of issuance by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners. Application fees are paid to the BOEE during the application process.

Required Documents for Renewal

  • Official Transcript(s) showing completion of coursework totaling three credits. Courses should be completed between the issue date and the expiration date of your certificate, or be no more than five years old.
  • Valid certificates of completion for Mandatory Reporter, Child Abuse Training and Mandatory Reporter: Dependent Adult Abuse training.
  • You may use classes from any Iowa AEA or accredited college or university. Coursework should be related to education or duties performed and can be taken in any combination of the following areas:
    • Area of Concentration not currently held.
    • Content that will assist a paraeducator in supporting students in reading, writing, or mathematics.
    • Content that supports either the building’s or district’s career development plan.
    • College credit earned for each semester hour.
    • Substitute Authorization course.

For a list of AEA classes and to register, visit the Iowa AEA Professional Learning Catalog.