I Think My Child Needs Assistance

Central Rivers AEA staff members provide services to children and students from birth to the age of 21. The eligibility requirements for children and students to receive those services differ depending on the age of the child/student. In all cases, however, services are free and are based on eligibility and need. If you believe your child may be in need of services, who you contact at Central Rivers AEA depends on their age.

Working together for children

Hearing Screening Only

If you are interested in scheduling a hearing screening and do not have concerns about your child’s development at this time, please visit our Schedule a Hearing Screening page to schedule a hearing screening.

Children Birth – 3 Years

If your child is between the ages of birth to 3 years and has a condition that may cause later delays in development or if they are showing delays in their ability to play, think, talk or move, your child may be eligible for Early ACCESS services.

You can make a referral or request an evaluation by completing the referral form or by contacting:

Central Rivers AEA     OR    Iowa Family Support Network

Children Ages 3-5 Years

How Do I Make a Referral for AEA Services?

  • Parents: If you are concerned about your child’s learning and/or development, please contact Margy Averill at Central Rivers AEA, via email or phone call at 641-844-2431.
  • Teachers in a school-based preschool: Referrals may be made by contacting your Early Childhood Team Rep or other appropriate staff (i.e. SLP for speech/language concerns). Provide your contact person with the date you discussed the referral with the child’s parent.
  • Medical providers and outside agencies/center-based providers: Referrals may be made by contacting Margy Averil at Central Rivers AEA, via email or phone call. You will need to provide basic information about the child as well as the date that you spoke with the child’s parent about making the referral. 

Age 5 to Age 21

  • The Child Find process is different for students who are of school age.
  • Contact your local school administrator to discuss the concerns you have regarding your child.

Important Contacts

Staff Directory