Age of Majority

In Iowa, when a student turns 18, gets married, or is incarcerated into the adult legal system, they obtain their educational rights.  This means that their educational rights transfer to them. School districts need to inform parents and students of this transfer of rights at least one year prior to their 18th birthday and on their 18th birthday. The materials below can help teachers, parents, and students understand what educational rights students and parents have and what the transfer of rights means for them.

Iowa Department of Education Resource Materials

Sample Letter of Notification Transfer of Rights