Summer reading with MackinVIA – Prevent the summer slide!
Teachers and parents know that with the joy of summer also comes the lazy days of potential Summer Slide. Sitting idle for as long as three months could potentially undo the gains made throughout the year and affect how successfully a student will adjust to the coming new school year. Central Rivers AEA in cooperation with Mackin, has developed a summer reading resource website for students in grades K-12 called “I Want To Read”.
Central Rivers AEA presented a webinar on Summer Reading – Prevent the Summer Slide with MackinVIA. This webinar focuses on the potential for a summer slide in students’ reading during their summer break from school. The webinar cites several points of research that show how student achievement can drop off over the summer in addition to the physical impact that can occur with less activity, both physically and mentally for kids during these months. For those who were unable to join us for the live webinar, we are posting a link here for the entire 2018 session.
If you have questions regarding the Central Rivers AEA Summer Reading program, please contact one of our presenters, Cheryl Carruthers or Cari Teske, Central Rivers AEA Librarians, or Barb Shafer, Consultant for School Improvement & Reading/Language Arts.
MackinVIA is an online eBook resource that is provided by Central Rivers AEA for access by students and teachers 24/7/365. To access your individual school VIA, you can use your generic Iowa AEA Online building username and password, or your individual Mackin Backpack login. Please see your building/district teacher librarian for more information regarding your login, or you can also contact us at the Central Rivers AEA.
Below we have listed promotional and supporting documents and links that can be used to help you implement a summer reading for your school.
Resources for promoting Summer Reading with MackinVIA:
- Parent Letter Summer Reading 2018 (editable ver) (editable version)
- MackinVIA Summer Reading flyer 2018
- Summer Reading Bookmark
Summer Reading Sites of Interest
- Central Rivers AEA Summer Reading Website – Elementary – listing 19-31 selected titles for Grades 1-5. (All titles are included in your school’s MackinVIA)
- Central Rivers AEA Summer Reading Website – Secondary – listing 22-29 selected titles for Secondary. (All titles are included in your school’s MackinVIA)
- MackinVIA eReader Apps – find apps for all of the most common devices, including desktop, portable and handheld.
- Mackin’s Summer Reading Resources/Support Materials – includes direct links to downloadable copies the Summer Reading Journal, Summer Reading Log, and Activity Guides.
- 2017 Summer Reading Webinar link
- 2018 Summer Reading Webinar link