Welcome to the Central Rivers AEA Science website. Here you will find information, resources, and tools to improve science education for all students.
Next Generation science standards
- Iowa adopted the performance expectations component of the Next Generation Science Standards as the state standard on August 6, 2015.
- Explore the full Next Generation Science Standards.
- The standards are based on the Framework for K-12 Science Education.
- Feel free to contact us to discuss ways we can assist your district with your transition to these standards.
Resources to Support Implementation of Iowa Core Science Standards
The Central Rivers AEA Science team has developed and collected a number of resources to guide an individual teacher or district’s implementation of the Iowa Science Standards. From evidence booklets to resources to that support lesson planning, you’ll find them here!
Ways to Connect with Educators Across the state
Iowa’s AEA science consultants are utilizing social media as a way to increase collaboration among teachers. Consider joining one or more of the Iowa Facebook pages to share news, ideas, resources, and questions join us for Twitter chat (#IAscienceChat), or utilize the resources and meetings of MINK & Co.
Coaching Science in Iowa?
Are you an instructional coach who supports Science teachers? The Iowa Science Coaching Network is a great place to network with others. Facilitated by two instructional coaches from Southeast Polk, they host webinars throughout the year, have a Google+ Community, and have a newsletter. Check out their site for more information.
STEM education in Iowa
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Education has been identified as a priority in Iowa. The Governor’s STEM Advisory Council is a partnership between business, policy, and education leaders from across the state convened to bolster Iowa’s STEM education and innovation. Visit the Governor’s STEM Advisory Council for more information.
Check out our blog science for the next generation!
Periodically throughout the school year, we will discuss issues related to Science Education. Check out the Science Blog and add to the conversation!
Some ways we can support:
- Professional learning in the area of science education in districts
- Provide professional development through course offerings (see chart below)
- Consultation on Iowa Science Standards
- Support with Mystery Science (K-5)
- Support with OpenSciEd (6th-8th)
- Support working with teachers to better align curriculum to Iowa Science standards
- Join school science team PLCs
- Provide student events at the agency (see chart below)
- Assist in finding resources to support science education
- Answer questions related to the teaching of science
- Support with STEM implementation
- Guide curriculum committees through science curriculum selection
- Work with schools to set up “learning teams” for renewal credit.
- Conduct science learning labs
- Other support ideas are welcome
Current Offerings to look for:
|November 9th, 2020||Paper Roller Coaster Design Challenge (MS)||Students in grades 6th-8th||Remote|
|November 16th, 2020||Paper Roller Coaster Design Challenge (HS)||Students in grades 9-12||Remote|
|February 4th and March 23rd, 2021||Discourse in the Secondary Science Classroom (Course #181957)||7-12 teachers, coaches||Clear Lake||CANCELED|
|February 8th-April 12th, 2021||Science Instructional Strategies for Today and Beyond (Course #190442)||K-12 Teachers||Canvas and one visit||1 license renewal|
|February 18th and March 30th, 2021||Discourse in the Elementary Science Classroom (Course #182007)||PK-6 teachers, coaches||Clear Lake||CANCELED|
|March 12, 2021||Paper Table Challenge||Students in grades 3rd-5th||Remote|
|April 1-May 31, 2021||Beyond Mystery Science (Course #190668)||K-5 teachers and coaches||Canvas and one visit||1 license renewal|
|May 14, 2021||Discover and Wonder: Hands-on STEM||Students in grades K-2||Clear Lake|
Have a Question? Want to Know More? Contact a Science Consultant!
Cedar Falls Office
|Mandie Sanderman||Consultant for Science||Mandie Sanderman|
|Chelsie Byram||Consultant for Science||Chelsie Byram|