Iowa youth survey

The Iowa Youth Survey is conducted by the Iowa Department of Public Health’s Division of Behavioral Health in collaboration with the Iowa Department of Human Rights’ Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning and Statistical Analysis Center.

In the fall of 1999, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2018 students in the 6th, 8th, and 11th grades across the state of Iowa answered questions about their attitudes and experiences regarding alcohol and other drug use and violence, and their perceptions of their peer, family, school, and neighborhood/community environments. In 2008 the survey was administered online for the first time.

Iowa Youth Survey reports list responses to every question on the survey, providing total percentages and breakdowns by grade and gender. Reports in 2016 and 2018 include trend data on several variables instead of separate trend reports.


Reports are available in the following categories:

  • State of Iowa
  • Counties
  • Judicial Districts
  • Department of Public Health Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Planning Regions
  • Area Education Association Regions


Also available is the Iowa Youth Survey Trend Report which contains comparisons across all surveys using a youth development results framework.

If you are a district employee and would like to access previous reports, please use the following steps to download your district’s report(s) from the DE’s secure site.

  1. Have a Portal user with “Download – DE to District” access login to the Iowa Education Portal.
  • This is typically the superintendent and anyone s/he gives access.
  1. Under EdInfo, click on “Download – DE to District.” A new screen will appear with your district’s IYS reports from 2010-2016.
  2. Click on the name of the file to open it, then save it to your local computer.


Beginning in 2018, IDPH will be sending reports to districts. For additional information, contact Pat McGovern at

If you are not a district employee, but are interested in having access to the IYS report for a particular district, contact the district directly to request a copy of the report.