The Iowa Core Standards-Based Rubrics were developed in an effort to assist educators in using the grade level content standards of the Iowa Core to engage in effective instruction and assessment practices. At the current time, rubrics have been developed in grades kindergarten through twelfth grade in most of the following areas:
- Reading Foundational Skills, Literature and Informational Text
- Speaking and Listening
- 21st Century Skills
It is anticipated that these resources can be used for multiple purposes that include, but are not limited to assisting educators in:
- becoming more familiar with the specific elements of the Iowa Core
- developing effective instruction and assessment practices
- identifying students’ present levels of performance
- monitoring the progress of students in response to targeted and intensive instruction as well as specially designed instruction for students receiving special education services and supports
These rubrics are considered to be DRAFTS and thus, might be updated or modified at any time. This website location will serve as the location for the most current draft copy. Previous to using these rubrics for any purpose, users are encouraged to first read the document entitled Iowa Core Standards-Based Rubrics – Supporting Document.
Users of these resources are also encouraged to become familiar with the StandardsInsight web-based Iowa Core unpacking tool. Armed with this knowledge and understanding of the Iowa Core, users will be able to have much deeper conversations regarding student skills and instructional/assessment implications.
To log into a generic StandardsInsight account, follow these directions: