Central Rivers AEA offers the Paraeducator Certification Course to those paraeducators who are currently employed as a full-time practicing paraeducator. Some school districts require paraeducator certification as a condition of full-time paraeducator employment in their district. Superintendents or District HR Directors should contact the AEA Paraeducator Administrator, Heather Staebell (515-971-0415), who will work with the district if you are a district that requires it.
If you are not currently employed with a school district as a practicing paraeducator, please check out the programs that are offered by other organizations: Iowa Lakes Community College, Iowa Western Community College, Kirkwood Community College, Northeast Iowa Community College, Western Community College, and Mt Mercy University.
Their contact information can be found on their websites for further information regarding their offerings.
Paraeducator Certification Course (formerly known as Level I or Generalist)
The Paraeducator Generalist Course is a 3 hour face-to-face orientation session as well as completing an on-line moodle, meetings with your supervising teacher and principal, and potential observation/s. Participants need to be able to attend the entire three hours of orientation. During the face-to-face orientation session, participants will need to bring a computer, not an iPad.
This course will only be offered two times during the 2017-2018 school year. The first session starting in September will allow paras more time to complete the course. Those paras starting in September will complete coursework by April 20, 2018. Students starting in January will have a more rigorous schedule with a completion date of May 16, 2018.
To register for the Paraeducator Certification Course you will need to use the Central Rivers AEA Professional Learning website:
- Visit Professional Learning and login or sign up for a new account if you do not have one.
- Under Course Search, enter 15428 and click on Search
- You can register here or click on the title for more information and then click on Sections to see what sections are being offered (the Register buttons are on the right)
- When registering, you must accept/decline that you’ve read the disclaimer messages, both course specific and general course registration (refund policy)
- Continue registration and payment process until you submit
- Payment is accepted through Visa or Mastercard credit, debit, or prepaid cards (Course fee is $360)
- You will see a registration invoice, which you may print. You will also receive a registration confirmation in your email.
- Should you have further questions regarding how to enroll, please contact Kirsten Moore at the Professional Learning Department in the Cedar Falls AEA Office.