CRAEA offers roster of Social Studies support for 2019-20
With implementation of the new social studies standards well underway in Iowa, many districts are continuing to look for support and resources. Central Rivers AEA, in conjunction with the Department of Education, has a number of learning opportunities and avenues for support.
2019-20 Learning Opportunities:
|Combo Year 1 & 2 Workshop:
Focus: Social studies standards, instructional shifts, & unit design
|September 17||K-12||Clear Lake|
|September 19||K-12||Cedar Falls|
|Year 3 Workshop
Focus: Strategies to support instructional shifts, formative & summative assessment practices, and standards-based assessment development
|October 10 & 15||Elementary||Cedar Falls|
|October 28 & 29||Secondary||Clear Lake|
|February 20 & March 3||Elementary||Marshalltown|
|February 24 & 25||Secondary||Cedar Falls|
Networking & Work Day
Focus: Unstructured time to network with others and get support from an CRAEA consultant
- Elementary Introduction to the Social Studies Standards Year 1
- Elementary Social Studies Standards Year 2
- Secondary Introduction to the Social Studies Standards Year 1
- Iowa Department of Ed Social Studies Resources
- Teachers and administrators are encouraged to sign up to receive the DE’s social studies newsletter for the most updated social studies resources and learning opportunities. Past newsletters are also accessible on the DE website.
In-District Support: With only a small amount of agency FTE dedicated to social studies at this time, consultants will not be able to provide in-district professional learning or small-group support. However, districts are encouraged to reach out to consultants for resources, general collaboration, and implementation planning. They are available via phone, email or Zoom.
Questions? Please contact Heather Gould.